The weather has turned. The blistering heat, blue skies and outdoor drinking has been halted with the arrival of August and a hurricane. Oh, wait a minute.
That was me having a massive word with myself. Let’s be more accurate, it was a heavy storm where my fence wobbled a bit in the wind. Regardless, the shite weather has done nothing to help my indecision about whether to do a massage course this autumn/winter or go travelling again. There are up and downsides to both. When I speak to my friends who are moving around Europe, selling artwork, busking or performing, I get a massive pang of jealousy. I want to do that too. But then I tell myself, this is their daily life. Travelling is how they make money.
I can’t do that.
Writing is something I can do anywhere, it’s awesome. But I’ve learned that trying to promote a newly published book while you’re travelling is not the best way forward. So, now I’m giving serious thought to bringing the release date for Heart Shaped Bruise forward – forward enough so I can have it out and promotion underway before the horrific winter properly kicks in.
The friend I’d travelled in India with told me yesterday that I had to go away. I’d spend more money than I’d save by staying and he’s right. But it’s not just a question of money (though it would help if I actually started to save some). It’s a question of practicality and forward thinking.
Doing a massage course now will take me through the winter, and I’ll be qualified enough to start practicing it. The downside is, I’ll have to put off travelling for a substantial amount of time until later next year. On the other hand, it’s cold, I don’t know how long I’ll be working for and since life is so unpredictable, who knows if I’ll get to go travelling next year instead of this.
I think I need an 8-ball. Actually, if any of you have one, could you ask it what I should do and post the answer in the comments?